Are you searching for the best outdoor Solar Powered String Lights?
You’ve come to the right place then. We are here to help you with your hunt to find the perfect Solar String Lights.
We have covered Solar Christmas Lights in our previous article, but here we are talking about solar string lights, have you ever heard of solar-powered string lights? Well, as you can probably guess, solar string lights are string lights—also known as Christmas lights, fairy lights in the UK—that run on solar power. As with other string lights, they are small to medium lights spaced out at regular intervals on a wire, or “string,” that can be tied up to any part of a house, building, or other installation. This means that using solar string lights, you can decorate both the interior and the exterior of your home, whether as a means of everyday decoration or for specific holidays or events, including weddings.
Reviews of the Best Outdoor Solar String Lights
|Best Solar Powered String Lights||Length||Our Rating||Price||Reviews on Amazon|
Anyway Solar String LED Lights
|72 feet|| |
GDEALER Solar Outdoor String Lights
|20 feet|| |
Lemontec LED Water Drop Solar Waterproof String Lights
|20 feet|| |
VMANOO Solar LED Fairy String Lights
|72 feet|| |
GDEALER Solar Outdoor Globe String Lights
|20 feet|| |
GDEALER Solar Starry Fairy Outdoor String Lights
|72 feet|| |
Qedertek Solar Outdoor Butterfly Fairy String Lights
|25 feet|| |
AMIR Solar Powered LED String Lights
|72 feet|| |
Brightech Ambience Pro - Waterproof Solar LED Outdoor String Lights
|27 feet|| |
Icicle Dual Power Outdoor Solar String Lights
|72 feet|| |
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
How Do Solar String Lights work?
Solar string lights work by absorbing sunlight, which they then convert into electrical energy via the function of their battery. Whether they are placed outdoors or indoors, solar string lights make use of a solar panel to gather up solar energy, which generally contains the battery. The sunlight absorbed by the panel is circuited through the batteries and turned into electrical energy. Inside the battery, the electrical energy is turned into stored and chemical energy, and then—when you want to turn the light on—turned back into electrical energy, thus allowing the light to function. In other words, the battery functions as a middleman between the solar panel and the light source (that is, the sunlight).
The lights work both inside and outside. Outdoor lights function because they gather in sunlight when it’s bright and sunny outside, and then either store the light to use later, once the lights have been illuminated. In the case of indoor lights, they must be placed near sources of natural light, generally windows, so that the sunlight can shine into the room and be absorbed by the solar panel.
Things To Consider When Buying Solar String Lights
There are all kinds of things to consider before you purchase a set of solar string lights. For example, you’ll want to know about how many hours they can provide light over their lifetime, how much light they produce, what modes of lighting are available, and which colours of light they produce. The nature of the questions will vary depending on what you intend to use them for—a wedding supply company, for example, will have very different criteria to fill than a family looking to illuminate their home for Christmas—but you need to ask them, so that you can find the lights that work best for you.
- Is it waterproof or water-resistant enough? Solar panels are usually waterproof—just as you would expect from something that’s meant to be placed outside for months or even years at a time—and in many cases, they are resistant to other forms of weather, including heavy winds, as well. You’ll want to pay more attention to this particular characteristic if you live in a place with harsh, cold weather, but might have to worry less if you live in a warmer place where it doesn’t rain as much.
- How long will it take them to charge? Solar string lights will be able to charge even when the sunlight outside isn’t present in a constant, steady stream. However, note that they will, understandably, develop a stronger, more solid charge when it is consistently sunny outside, which makes them a great choice for areas where there’s a lot of bright sunshine during much of the year. If you live in a place where it’s darker or there’s more cloud cover, then it will naturally take the solar string lights a long time to charge properly.
- Suitability to your area: Solar string lights can be placed outside of homes almost anywhere in the world, but of course you’ll want to choose those lights that are best suited to your own particular area. This is because, for example, if you live in a climate where conditions are windy and rainy, you’ll naturally want a model that’s a little more durable. However, on the flip side of the coin, if you live in an area where the weather is more likely to be consistently warm and sunny, durability might not be as much of a concern. You can watch out for this element by carefully reading the packages or product descriptions of the solar string lights you’re interested in.
- Ease of installation: Some solar string lights are easier to install than others. You usually won’t need sockets, wiring, or other tools—tools are included in the package as necessary, and consists of stakes, spikes, and stands—but there’s no doubt that the solar panels of some solar models will attach more easily to wherever you’re placing them (often a wall or a railing) than others. Also, watch out for the length of the strings: you’ll need to choose these in function of the size of the area where you’d like to place the lights.
- What kind of light will you get? As with other lighting devices, the amount of light generated by solar string lights is going to vary depending on the model. Depending on the model, the cells of solar panels are coated with materials like boron or phosphorus, which affects how receptive they are to the interactions of electrons on the surface. Also, pay attention to modes, which include waves, flashing, and the classic “steady on.” If the lights only have that last option, that’s fine, for say, regular Christmas lights, but if you want lights for a special event, like a wedding, you may want to find lights that have special modes.
Top 10 Best Solar String Light Reviews
- LED bulbs are super-bright
- 8 lighting modes, including flashing, waves, fading
- leading copper wire is 72 feet long
- the wire is durable, bendable and waterproof
- IP65 3-strand copper
- easy installation for the garden, patio, etc.
Long-lasting Durable Light
These lights will ensure that you get illumination that lasts for 8 hours or more at a time, once the lights have been fully charged. They absorb and convert sunlight efficiently, and the lights themselves shine brightly thanks to their 200 LED format. The illumination is also available in different modes, including modes meant to mimic fireflies and waves, fading, chasing/fading, slow fading flashing, twinkle/flashing, and of course the steady “always on feature.” These mode options can be found on the solar panel; you can turn the lights off manually as well. The lights are warm white in colour, and the 0.6W solar panel holds the battery of 1200 mAH.
A User Friendly Product
The thin, flexible copper wire of these lights is 72 feet long, making it the ideal choice for stringing anywhere you like outdoors, including around your balcony, in your garden, or on your patio or deck of your pool. The lights themselves are easy to install, in part thanks to the bendable, flexible design of the wire—a stake is also included so that you can anchor themselves in place—and they come with a warranty that is valid for a full year.
- wire is 20 feet (6 metres) long
- brightness of 30 LEDs
- waterproof and durable
- 8 hours of illumination once fully charged
- steady and flashing modes available
- outdoor use: perfect for weddings, parties, garden, patio, backyard, Christmas trees, etc.
A durable source of light
This model by Gdealer features a 30-LED format, which provides 8 to 10 hours of illumination once the battery has been fully charged. It is waterproof, so you won’t have to worry about whether or not you need to take the lights down if it’s raining. As well, the lights feature two modes—flashing and a steady mode—in addition to the off functionality, which you can use when you don’t need more light or illumination. The lighting creates a romantic effect, which is particularly beautiful during the night-time—and it will last throughout the night, because of the 8-hour charge.
An energy-efficient model
These lights are environmentally friendly, in that their high energy conversion rates ensure that they are energy-efficient. The intensity of the light varies depending on a number of factors, including weather conditions, changes in the seasons, and the part of the world in which the user is located. They can charge for up to 12 hours, and the full capabilities of the model run the gamut of some 5000 hours.
Includes everything you need
This 6-meter long lighting cable—which has 5 feet between the solar panel and the first LED for optimal safety, with 20 cm between every 2 LEDs—is sold with a solar panel, a stand, and a spike.
- built-in sensor automatically turns lights off at dawn
- multicolored lights are perfect for decorating
- user-friendly and easy to use
- spike is included
- perfect warranty: 100% refund after 30 days
Use them throughout the whole year
You can use these lights in any month or season of the year because of their durable, waterproof design and convenient multicolour modes. The cable is 20 feet long, with the 30 LED lights spaced 20 cm apart from each other, so installation is simple, straightforward, and not frustrating. The lights last 10 hours when they are fully charged, and you can set them in either the steady-light or flashing-light modes.
Low cost, high reward
These affordable lights are environmentally friendly, and the maintenance cost is low for you: you just need to clean them occasionally, recharge the 1.2V 1000mAH battery and keep them in working order. Because of their durable design, you won’t need to take the lights off in case of rain or other inclement weather.
Multicolour light to light up the night
These Lemontic lights are available in hues of white/warm and white/blue multicolour lights. This makes them perfect for all kinds of occasions, not just Christmas; for example, they’re perfect for birthday parties, weddings, garden parties, or even as part of your Halloween decorations. You can turn the lights on or off with the power button, and the bi-mode button allows you to switch between the two modes.
- 72-foot cable
- multi-colored lights
- 8 modes are included
- high-efficiency solar panels
- user-friendly interface
- water resistance in case of rain and other bad weather
- create relaxing, glowing illumination
The kind of lighting you’re looking for
With this model by VMANOO, you’ll get exactly the kind of illumination that you have been searching for. 8 modes of multicolor lighting are available: these include waves, a sequential mode, a slow mode, chasing/flash, slow fade, twinkle/flash, and the usual steady-on option. The 2V, 300MA solar panel features a built-in 1800MA AA NI-MH that you can replace with an eco-friendly rechargeable battery.
An ideal, energy-efficient design
The high-energy solar panels of this model ensure that you have an eco-friendly wave of keeping your lights functioning whenever you need them. Plus, the power switch is easy to use: just keep it on automatically, and the built-in sensors will store light automatically during the daytime, for use in illumination at night. Not to mention, the waterproof and water-resistant design ensures that you can use these lights for years on end, throughout many Christmases, birthdays, weddings, and other occasions, because they will remain durable and strong in all kinds of weather. You won’t even need to take them off when it rains.
- lifetime is up to 5000 hours
- high energy efficiency
- last until dawn breaks, then switch off automatically to save you energy
- ease of installation
- multicoloured lights
An environmentally friendly choice
The high-tech solar panel results in an energy-efficient conversion rate. Further, thanks to the built-in sensor, the lights go on automatically at dusk. They will also turn off on their own when it gets too bright outside, which saves you energy and is better for the environment.
Has all the features you need
These lights are waterproof, which means that they are ideal for outdoor decoration throughout the year, even during the rainy and cold seasons of winter and spring. They can function for 8 hours at night in a continuous stream (assuming that enough sunshine has been absorbed during the day). A flashing mode is available, as well as a steady-light mode. You can also turn the light on or off with the click of a button so that you’re not wasting energy when it’s not in use.
Includes everything you need to get started
The string lights feature 30 crystal-ball LED lights on a 20-foot long wire, and a solar panel is attached. Also included are a stand and a 20-cm garden spike, so that you can properly position and install the lights. You install it without plugging it into a power source.
- wire is 72 feet long (22 meters)
- 200 LED lights
- waterproof for rainy conditions
- can work for 8 hours
- 8 lighting modes
Efficient lighting with many modes
All kinds of lighting modes are available with this model: sequential, combination, slow, chasing/flash, slow fade, twinkle/flash, and steady on. Because of the variety of lighting modes, you can install two sets of light side by side and turn on different modes, thus creating pulsing effects.
A durable item
The 20 200 LED ball-shaped lights are also placed about 10 cm away from each other each, placed evenly along the long 72-foot (6-meter) cable. As well, the total lifetime of the bulbs is up to 50,000 hours. You can also turn it off entirely when you’re not using it, thereby saving you energy. You can also save energy thanks to the built-in sensor, which makes the light turn on and off at nightfall and dawn. The interval between the solar panel and the first solar light is long enough so that you can install everything properly without needing to worry.
Includes installation equipment in the package
A 20-cm garden spike is included in this package, as is a stand. The controller allows you to switch from one lighting mode to the next with ease. The solar panel of 2V has 300MA and includes the 1.5V battery of 1800MA.
- multi-coloured lights for beautiful decorating
- 50 blue blossoms on a 21-foot wire
- 5-foot lead cable included
- waterproof; can withstand snow and heavy rain
- once charge, light lasts for up to 8 hours
A heavy-duty lighting set-up
One great thing about this model of string lights is that it is fairly heavy-duty (despite being composed of 50 blue blossom shaped-lights). The leading cable is 6.5 feet long, and it is attached to a cable that is 21 feet long. It is waterproof and can withstand not only small to normal amounts of rain, but also heavy rain, as well as snow. The lighting it creates will last for 8 hours.
Includes everything you need to get started
Everything you need is already included in the package: a stand, in the shape of a garden stake; a lead cable; a cable; and a solar panel with a rechargeable battery. The panel is 2V 170 mA, and the battery, which is built-in, is a 600mA NI-MH AS battery.
These lights have been designed in such a way that they save energy, on account of the high energy conversion rate. This means that they are energy-efficient, and will last for several years. Moreover, the battery is rechargeable, saving you the trouble of having to replace it frequently. Also, the light sensor technology means that the lights turn off and on and dusk and dawn so that you don’t waste energy having it on when it’s bright outside, and can instead use that time to charge it.
- 8 lighting modes for all kinds of occasions
- copper IP65 wire is waterproof
- warm white in colour
- the angle of viewing is 360 degrees
- on and off switch button
- once fully charged, runs for 14 hours
A powerful model of string lights
Unlike many other models on the market, these lights by AMIR will last for a full 14 hours once they have been fully charged. As a result, you’ll get light for more than half the day, if you need it. And when you don’t need it—namely, because it’s getting light outside and you need to start taking light in, rather than letting it out—the lights will turn off automatically in the morning. This particular feature means that you don’t need to waste any energy keeping it on in the daytime when the light won’t be seen at all. As well, there are 200 LEDs in this model.
A very long wire
The wire of this model, which is made out of IP65 copper, is very long: a full 72 feet, to be precise. It also has a steady 360-degree viewing angle, and the lights illuminate every direction around them.
Many modes for better decoration
The 8 modes of this model—fireflies, flashing, waves, fading, combination, fading slowly, steady on, chasing/flashing, and twinkle/flashing—mean that you can create all kinds of lighting events, perfect for all kinds of scenarios, with relatively little effort.
- lights are in shape of an Italian-style pergola
- create a warm, pleasant ambience
- 3000K of warm light is produced
- full lifetime is up to 20,000 hours
- charge completely with 6 hours of sunlight
- 27-foot-long strands
Powerful mood lights
Many features of these lights indicate that it has an ideal design which is suitable for all kinds of occasions. Not only are their style and shape reminiscent of an Italian-style pergola—perfect for yards, balcony and gazebos—but they are warm enough to create a pleasant ambience around that whole area. They are heavy-duty and will create up to 3,000K of warm light at a time, with the full lifetime of the product lasting up to 20,000 hours. They can
Classic style and design
The bulbs are in the style of Edison’s classic light bulb, and they are placed on strands that are around 27 feet long. There are 12 bulbs in all, of the G40 type, placed some 20 inches apart, with the lighted portion measuring around 20 feet. There are also 6 feet between the solar panel and the first bulb so that you have enough space to set everything up properly without stressing yourself out.
If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you have three years to use Brightech’s warranty.
- 8 modes perfect for all kinds of occasions
- two-way lighting solution with panel and battery
- the wire is made out of IP65 copper
- they work for up to 8 hours at night time
- external battery lasts 5 – 10 days
- waterproof; ideal for all kinds of weather
Many modes available
Many modes are available with this two-way lighting solution, in that it is powered both by a solar panel and a battery. These mods include combination, waves, sequential, slogs, slow fade, steady on, chasing/flash, and twinkle/flash. With this plethora of modes, you can find a setting that is perfect for any occasions, whether it’s a birthday party, wedding, or Christmas-related occasion.
Strong and durable design
These lights have been designed in such a way that they will provide light for up to 8 hours at a time, using the 1200 mAH built-in battery. As well, the external battery can be used for 5 to 10 days, depending on the modes chosen. The lights can withstand all kinds of weather, including snow and heavy rain. The dual-powered mode essentially means that the lights are more practical than many other models and that the illumination produced won’t be affected by factors like weather, seasonal conditions, or geographic factors.
If you’d like to buy some solar string lights for your house or apartment, you’re in luck: many models are offered for sale, both online and in brick-and-mortar stores. Of particular note are the Ankway FBA_Aky13 Solar String 200 LED Fairy Lights and the GDEALER Solar Outdoor String Lights 20ft, both of which are very well-rated. That being said, with the hundreds of models available on the market, you’re sure to find one that suits exactly the purpose you want it to serve, whether that’s to light up the outside of your home, to decorate the inside of a brand-new apartment to make it your own, or to string along your mantelpiece to decorate for winter holidays. Find the model that works best for you by taking into account your specific needs and tastes, and you’ll be very satisfied with your purchase.