Sliding compound miter saws are convenient because they let you cut into many materials with a wide range of angles. This ensures you more precision and accuracy in your projects, such as your woodworking projects and others. Better precision will allow you to make your projects look more professional, and therefore more appealing to people who are viewing your work. Not to mention, your projects will just look more stylish overall, since not only will you get all the angles you want, but the cuts will be as straight as can be—and, it goes without saying, more professional than they would be otherwise.
Reviews of the Best Sliding Compound Miter Saws
|Best Sliding Compound Miter Saws||Price||Our Rating|
Hitachi C10FCE2 15-Amp 10-inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw
DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Bosch GCM12SD 120-Volt 12-Inch DB Glide Miter Saw
Makita LS1216L 12-Inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw with Laser
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Why Do You Need Sliding Compound Miter Saw?
- Get more done in the same amount of time
- Cut through many different materials
- Work quicker and more efficiently
- Cut at a wide variety of angles
Things To Consider When Buying Sliding Compound Miter Saw
If you’re looking for a sliding compound miter saw, then there are several things you’ll have to take into account. Most important of all is safety; if a given power tool isn’t safe, then there’s no point in purchasing it, since who knows what might happen? Also important is convenience; ideally, the optimal sliding compound miter saw will fit comfortably into your garage (or wherever your handyperson workbench is), be the right size for you to be able to handle it optimally without hurting yourself, and work efficiently and properly. Moreover, you’ll also have to consider how portable it is; more portable models tend to weigh less, which means that they’re easier to carry and maneuver.
- Safety: Safety and security are of the utmost importance when you’re considering purchasing any kind of power tool. Let’s face it, actually; if a tool doesn’t seem to be safe, then there’s no point in getting one. It’s simply not worth the risk; it’s easy enough to injure yourself with any kind of power tool, and especially one that involves pieces which are meant specifically for cutting and severing. So—if you’re considering a specific model, but you’ve never heard of the company and it doesn’t have any safety certifications, verifications or checks—then you should stay away. Far away. Such a model will simply not be worth your time; there aren’t many logical reasons for them to be lacking such a certification, after all. And the fact that they’re lacking such a certification means that—while they might actually be fairly safe—it’s still best not to trust them. Better safe than sorry, as they say.
- Efficiency: Ideally, a good sliding compound miter saw—and especially a perfect sliding compound miter saw—must be efficient to use. That is to say, you should be able to cut efficiently and smoothly with it, without any unexpected problems cropping up. That a sliding compound miter saw works efficiently doesn’t mean it’s necessarily fast—although that’s often the case. Rather, in order for a sliding compound miter saw to be effective, it must be able to cut through materials at a steady, consistent pace; the cutting must not leave any more stray fibres lying around than strictly necessary; and the blades must be sharp enough that (when they’re sharpened), they’re effective at what they do. When using an efficient machine with an optimal design, then straining yourself—in your arms, wrists, and even hands and fingers—will happen, but not until you’ve been using it for a while. On the contrary, if your arms start to hurt a few minutes after you’ve been using it, then the machine itself isn’t very efficient.
- Convenience: It’s also important that your sliding compound miter saw is convenient to use. In order to take this into account, the saw can’t be too heavy to use, since you, again, risk the chance of hurting yourself or damaging your muscles and tendons. Obviously, though, this will depend on how strong you are as a person. Another factor of convenience is how cumbersome the sliding compound miter saw is. Some of them are more cumbersome to use, though they might not necessarily be heavy; this can make usage awkward and clunky. Moreover, whether or not a given model is cumbersome will have an effect on how it takes up space in your garage or wherever else you choose to place it. Although most models of sliding compound miter saws have roughly the same shape, the specific size will depend on which model number you end up going with.
- Durability: Durability is always an important factor that comes into play when you’re purchasing power tools. The more durable a given sliding compound miter saw is, the more usage you can get out of it. Because of this, you can use it for longer amounts of times in individual sessions, and it will also have a longer lifespan overall. That a given saw has a long lifespan is important: you won’t have to buy a new model (and, as you surely know by now, buying a new model can become quite a pain in the neck), you’ll save money, and there are environmental benefits as well. All of these come together to ensure that durable, long-lasting models tend to be preferable, no matter what kind of work you’re doing with your sliding compound miter saw—or, in other words, you can’t go without getting a durable model. If you don’t and opt for a weaker model instead, then you’ll find you’ll have to replace it much earlier than you intended.
Top 4 Best Sliding Compound Miter Saw Reviews
- Horizontal handle reduces vibration with elastomer grip
- Large table makes work more efficient and comfortable
- Flip fence is large and extended
- Positive stops are activated by the thumb, for quick adjustments
- Replace the carbon brush whenever you need to
High precision and accuracy
This model offers you high precision and accuracy. In part, this is because of the motor, which has 15 amps; it will allow you greater power—and by extension greater control—for those tough sawing jobs. The miter angle range is 0-52 degrees for the right and for the left, which allows you greater control over your own flexibility. There is also a 0-45 degree bevel range, to the left, and it features adjustable bevel stops that will allow you to cut and saw with precision. You can cut crown molding vertically with the large extended flip fence, which goes up to four inches. Furthermore, the quick stops—which are activated with your thumb—ensures that you can adjust the miter quickly and efficiently.
Comfort and ease of use
As we’ve said already, the quick steps allow you to adjust the miter quickly and efficiently, with the result that—because you’re using your thumb—you won’t have to keep stopping what you’re doing so that you can properly manipulate the instrument. This makes things more comfortable for you. Another facet that makes things more comfortable is the fact that the worktable is large and well-sized. This allows you to have better material support, which is good for your back and your muscles.
- Miter system is precise and accurate
- Powerful amp and rotor that allow for extended power and durability
- Back fence design is exclusive
- Cut 16-dimensional lumber at 90 degrees and 2 by 12 at 45 degrees
- Miter detent plate is adjustable and made out of stainless steel
Many convenient features
This model offers you several very helpful features. For example, there is a cam lock miter, a detent override, and bevel crown stops. In addition, its capacity is among the best in its weight class. It was designed in such a way that you can use it easily, with no hassles whatsoever. For example, the capacities are miter 0 to 60 degree left, 0 to 50 degree right, base capacity 6-1/2″ left and right with a crown capacity of 6-5/8″, cross cuts 2 x 14 on 90 degree and miters 2 x 10 on 45 degree, and bevel 0 to 48 degree left and right.
It’s both durable and precise, with the result that it’s ideal for professionals as well as hobbyists. You can use it not only for woodworking and heavy-duty framing, but also for building decks.
Package features a whole set
In addition to the sliding compound miter saw itself, you’ll also receive a dust bag, a wrench, and of course an instruction manual. It also comes with an adjustable miter saw laser system accessory (the DW7187). The warranty is for three years and is a limited warranty. Also, this miter saw weighs 54 pounds, so it’s the kind of portability you want if you’re a cabinetmaker, trim carpenter, installer, contractor, or framer.
- Ambidextrous trigger handle is ergonomic and comfortable
- Axial-glide system allows greater precision
- Compact, self-contained workspace
- Large bevel is easy to read
With its smooth motions and precise performance, this model is an excellent model if you’re looking for something that works well in different circumstances. Part of the reason it works so well is because of the Bosch-exclusive Axial-Glide System. As well, there pre-aligned Squarelock fences; these enable the saw to maintain precision throughout the life of the miter saw. The cutting capacity is also large, and you can easily read the bevel. There are miter scales with detents at common angles, and the upfront controls are both easy to access and to understand.
Comfort and quality
This is a good model to use if you’re looking for comfort. The handle is ambidextrous, so your performance won’t suffer—and your style won’t be cramped—if you’re left-handed. This is also a soft grip, and there is also a dust chute and vacuum adaptor, together in one piece, so that the user is more comfortable. Because it’s so comfortable, you can work for several hours at a time without worrying about injuring yourself.
Everything you need to get started
The package comes with 1 12-Inch Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw, 1 60-Tooth Blade, 1 Blade Wrench, 1 90 Degree Dust Chute Elbow/Vacuum Adaptor, 1 Material Clamp, and 1 Dust Bag.
- Drive motor is very powerful and requires less maintenance
- Tall, dual-sliding fence system
- Independent laser allows for high accuracy and precision
- Electronic speed control with constant speed
Power and strength
This model offers some of the best capacity in its weight class. The 4-Steel Rail Sliding system allows you to cut both more effectively and with greater precision, in a way that further increases how rigid that part of the system is.
Greater precision and accuracy
Part of the reason why precision and accuracy are better with this model is because of the blade guard system. This system is transparent, with the result that you get greater visibility of the line of cutting. These blades are tipped with 60T carbide. Furthermore, the rubberized feet help ensure that your tools remain stationary; as a result, you get greater precision, since there’s a lesser amount of movement and shuffling around than there would be otherwise. You can keep your work surface cleaner as well; this is thanks to the throat plate on the bottom, which is fully enclosed. There is also a 6 linear ball-bearing design which allows you to make very accurate cuts that don’t require any adjustments and which are quite smooth.
It comes with the tools you need
This model is purchased with a dust bag, a vertical vice, two models of wrenches, and a triangular rule. On the device itself, there are large levers which be adjusted for simple, efficient adjustments.
At the end of the day, while finding a good sliding compound miter saw can be difficult, it’s most certainly worth it. You can check out the models we’ve suggested in this article; they’re great products, made by well-known, high-quality brands. However, it might be that these models aren’t right for you, and that’s fine. In that case, we whose you good luck in your search. After all, you already know how hard it can be to find the perfect sliding compound miter saw for all your DIY and handyperson needs. So, best of luck; we know that you’ll need it. But remember: if you do your research properly, you will succeed. You can do it!