Air conditioners are one of the cooler features of the modern world since they make your home nice and aerated. Can you imagine how hot homes got before the first air conditioner was developed? After a certain point, there’s only so much benefit (and cool air) that could be derived from opening the windows. No, air conditioners have definitely had their benefits for making the inside of homes more comfortable. And that’s for home air conditioners, the ones which can’t be moved once they’ve been installed—but portable air conditioners are another option as well. Unlike the immovable models, they’re lighter, can be carried around, and can be placed into storage when they’re not in use.
Why Do You Need Portable Air Conditioner?
- Are light and portable
- Can be easily carried around
- Make air pass through many environments
- Some models offered different modes
Things To Consider When Buying Portable Air Conditioner
If you’re looking to purchase a new portable air conditioner, there are several things you’ll need to take into consideration. For instance, how much does it weigh? More generally, how portable is it? Of course, it’s a portable model—but some are “more portable” than others, in that they’re easier to carry, weigh less, and have a less cumbersome shape. A further consideration you’ll need to take into account is whether or not there are different modes. Different modes can alter how fast or how strong the circulating air is. Similarly, the strength and power of the air conditioner is something else to watch out for. Furthermore, how it fits into space where you want it to be placed is another thing to consider.
- Where you should put it: While they’re cooling, portable air conditioners create a lot of hot air, and this air most come out of their hose(s). Many models of portable air conditioners have a window kit, they must be placed in such a way that they face the window, which enables them to expel this warm air outside. Thus, the easiest way to install one is to put it next to a window. However, some models feature installation kits, and these, in turn, make it possible for the device to expel its hot air through a wall that’s adjacent, or a drop ceiling.
- Maintenance: For portable air conditioners, maintenance isn’t too much of a problem, although you will need to drain any moisture that’s collected every so often. They create this moisture because they extract it from the air during cooling. In order to eliminate the moisture, you can remove and empty the pan; you can attach a hose to the device, draining the moisture to another part of your house; or you can use a pump for the same purpose. However, many models have designs which promote the automatic elimination of this moisture.
- Noise levels: Does it bother you if your portable air conditioner makes quite a bit of noise? Some models tend to be noisier than others, although this facet is often compensated by a lower price tag. Some of the more quiet ones make noise at 45 dBs at the most. In order to compare the noise levels of different units, compare their decibel levels; these should be written on the box or the package. Make sure the noise won’t be so loud that it will be uncomfortable, distracting, or even painful if you have sensitive ears.
- Energy efficiency: Some models of portable air conditioners are better in terms of their energy efficiency, while others are worse. To know the difference, have a look at the energy efficiency ratio (EER), which is often featured on the package. The higher the EER, the more energy efficient a given model of air conditioner is. And the more energy efficient it is, the better for the environment it is as well.
- Size: The size of a portable air conditioner will depend on the area where you want to have air circulating. Those with higher BTU (British Thermal Units) levels have more strength, and as such, they’re ideal for larger rooms. But if you want your air conditioner to provide cool air to a smaller room, look for models that have relatively low BTU ratings.
Top 4 Best Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
1. Honeywell MN10CESWW 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control – White
- Cools areas measuring up to 350 square feet
- Efficient design with no bucket no dripping
- Dehumidification of up to 70 pints every day
With this model, you can achieve a BTU rating of up to 10,000. This machine also combines three in one technology: more specifically, you can both cool and humidify areas measuring up to 350 square feet. In addition to the dehumidifying functionality, there is also a system for auto-evaporation. There is also a traditional fan function, which offers three speeds. In other words, this model is both a powerful and convenient way of offering dehumidification, cooling and fresh air. As a matter of fact, it can dehumidify of up to 70 points for every 24-hour period. Because it has an auto-evaporation system, you can use it continuously, for several hours at a time.
Several features of the Honeywell ensure that it is user-friendly. For example, you can use it from across the room, thanks to the convenient remote control. Moreover—in contrast to fixed air conditioners—you don’t need a permanent installation for this model, and you can bring it from room to room thanks to its easy-roll caster wheels. The design has no bucket, and no drip feature, allowing for greater efficiency.
The digital display features an LCD screen, and, in order to control it, you can simply touch it with feather-light movements; you don’t need to push hard to make it work.
2. Whynter 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner (ARC-14S)
- Functions as an air conditioner, a fan or a dehumidifier
- A full package
- Full thermostatic control
- Dehumidifies up to 101 pints per day
This model will allow you to dehumidify for up to 101 pints per day. The maximum power consumption is 1250 W / 10.8 A, and the power supply is 115 V / 60Hz / 1 Phase. In order to work, it grabs the warm air from your space and converts it into the nice cool air. It has an auto-drain function, and it controls condensation effectively.
This model of portable air conditioner offers three modes of operating: as a fan, a dehumidifier, or, of course, an air conditioner. All of these operate at different speeds, thus allowing you a higher level of precision and control. It also has full thermostatic control, so that you can control it from 61 degrees Fahrenheit to 89 degrees.
Several features ensure that this model of the air conditioner is user-friendly. For example, the digital readout shows the 24-hour timer, which can be programmed according to your desires. This model comes with a remote control and an instruction manual, as well as an air filter, and a pre-filter that you can wash. The exhaust and intake hose can be extended up to 60 inches, and the window kit can be extended up to 46 inches. It is black and gray in color, and the design is smooth and sleek. The dual-hose venting system is easy to install as well.
3. Global air 10,000 BTU Portable air conditioner Cooling /Fan with Remote Control in white
Controls offer great precision
The digital, user-friendly controls of this model allow you to control with a lot of efficiencies. More specifically, you can precisely adjust the temperature, and you can control the air conditioner from across the room, thanks to the remote control. You can have over-cold protection in three minutes, and there is a function for restart/delay. When it’s working, this air conditioner blows the air upward, and there is an anti-frozen function under cooling. The screen functions via LED, and you have the option of using the active carbon filters if you like.
This model doesn’t have a water tank, and the system is self-evaporative. In order to work efficiently, the water that’s being condensed is then recycled, improving the functioning of the system via the cooling condenser. This white model can allow you to have a BTU rating of up to 10,000 BTU, and it can work its magic in rooms that measure up to 300 square feet. It has two speeds as well: one for cooling use and one for fan use. Because of its four-way direction of air, it can help you distribute the air evenly within any given room.
4. LG Electronics LP0814WNR 115-volt Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control, 10000 BTU
- 2 speeds for fan and cooling
- Save and store your settings
- Casters for easy transport
- User-friendly LED panel
Efficient and powerful
This air conditioner offers up to 2 pints of dehumidification per hour and has a BTU rating of 10,000. It can cool a room measuring up to 200 square feet. You can put it in any room or area of your house. The air is discharged out of the front of the machine.
On the user-friendly LCD screen, you can choose which of the 2 modes offered that you’d prefer: one of the 2 fan modes, and one of the 2 cooling speeds. There is also an auto-restart feature; this will allow you to save any settings you’ve stored when the unit restores its power. It functions via a remote control and is a good choice for when you’re on the go. The timer runs on a 24-hour cycle and is programmable. It’s white in color.
Easy to transport
This portable air conditioner is easy to transport, thanks to the easy roll caster wheels. As a result, you can move it easily across most kinds of floor surfaces. It also comes with a mesh filter, which you can wash. It also comes with an instruction manual, which is both in English and Spanish.
To sum up, we hope that you can find the perfect air conditioner for you with a minimum amount of trouble. Afr all, by now, hopefully, you have a better idea of what it is you’re looking for in an air conditioner, and you might even have a better idea of where to find it. So, have faith; you will find the product that’s right for you before long. We know that you can find it. And who knows? The air conditioner that’s perfect for you might even be one of the models that we’ve recommended in this article. Good luck!