If you’ve been considering purchasing a new inflatable stand-up paddle board, then chances are you have your work cut out for you. Not only are there so many boards on the market—so many, in fact, that it can be difficult to know which model you ought to choose—but there are also so many things to take into account as well, from size and shape to structure and design. However, it’s for this reason that we wrote this article. In this guide, we’ll give you an overview of the benefits of purchasing a new inflatable board, as well as those factors that you’ll need to watch out for, and we’ll even recommend a few products for you. We hope that you make use of these suggestions.
Why Do You Need Inflatable SUP Paddle Board?
- A great way of exercising
- Increase your strength, flexibility, stamina, and balance
- Go travelling, touring and surfing
- Stand-up paddle boarding is very cool
- Closely knit paddle boarding communities all over the world
Things To Consider When Buying Inflatable SUP Paddle Board
If you’d like to purchase an SUP paddle board, then there are several things you’ll need to take into account. First and foremost is your level of expertise, since this will in turn determine what kind of paddle board you’ll ultimately purchase. That is to say, beginning paddle boarders often use bigger boards, since smaller boards require the kind of control and balance that they simply haven’t developed yet. Also, what you’re going to be using the paddle board for is another major consideration. Some paddle boards are designed for specific activities—such as touring, surfing or racing—while others are simply meant for all-around usage, to be used for every kind of purpose.
- Level of expertise: If you’re just beginning to use stand-up paddle boards for the first time, then you might prefer models that have more volume, since these will guarantee that you have additional stability. In addition, they can also support more weight. However, if you’re a more advanced paddle boarder, then you can get a smaller board, since by now you have the skill, strength and balance needed to maneuver a smaller board with more control.
- Size: Larger boards offer you greater maneuverability and control, particularly for beginners. However, as we’ve pointed out earlier, if you have some experience under your belt, you can consider getting a smaller model. These are less cumbersome when you’re on the water, and will offer you a greater amount of maneuverability. However, keep in mind that you’ll have a lot more trouble handling them if you’re just starting out.
- Length: Longer boards might be more cumbersome, but they also move more quickly. Indeed, the longer they are, the faster they move. However, as you might expect, it’s harder to make turns if you’re using a longer board, and as such this can greatly affect your control. Therefore, you shouldn’t go for a longer period until you have a suitable amount of control.
- Thickness: The thickness of a given board has an effect on how well it floats. When it comes to inflatable boards, however, the thickness can also indicate how solid it feels. For example, if a given board is less than 6 inches thick, you’ll have the impression you’re standing on top of a jiggling water bed, rather than a piece of sporting equipment.
- Ease of storage: Even though they can be niin or more feet long, inflatable stand-up paddle boards can be deflated to the size of a sleeping bag. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be easy to store. Putting away some models might be inconvenient, in that they entail fiddling with ropes. Furthermore, even the simple act of rolling up the paddle board can be more difficult than it looks; you might find that you need to wrestle with it a little before you manage to get it into shape.
- What will you be using the board for? There are several types of stand-up paddle boarding, and, as we’ve already said, these can be done with both epoxy and inflatable boards. For example, you can race, tour, or surf; each of these have specialized models of paddle boards available. You can also purchase all-around paddle boards.
Top 4 Inflatable SUP Paddle Board Reviews
1. Tower Paddle Boards Adventurer Inflatable 9’10” SUP Package
- Very rigid
- Incredibly durable
- Military-grade PVC
- A complete package
Very rugged and durable
Several features about this board ensure how rugged and durable it is. For example, its capacity is of 350 pounds, when it’s on the water. Moreover, once it’s been fully inflated, it feels quite like a hard board—rather than an inflatable one—so much so that you might not necessarily be able to tell the difference. It even performs in the same way that hard boards do. Furthermore, it’s made out of PVC which is of military-grade, and features durable drop-stitch construction. No longer will you need to worry about cracking your board, or getting dings in it. It can be inflated up to 15 PSI, but can ride easily at 10 PSI as well.
Easy to trnsprt
This board measures 9 feet 10 inches, so it’s relatively easy to transport, as well as to store, since it’s inflatable.
A package deal
When you purchase this model, you get not only the board, but also a pump, and a paddle, which is made out of 3 pieces from fiberglass, and which can be adjusted for more efficiency, control and maneuverability. There is also a manufacturer’s warranty; this lasts two years, and will cover everything that’s not due to normal wear and tear.
2. ISLE Airtech Inflatable 10′ All Around Stand Up Paddle Board (6″ Thick) iSUP Package | Includes Adjustable Travel Paddle, Carrying Bag, Pump
- Efficient design
- High stability and control
- Includes full set of items
- Capacity: 240 pounds
Highly durable construction
Several features of this board ensure that it’s made durably, and is quite rugged. The board itself measures 17.5 pounds, but can hold up to 240 pounds of weight. It’s ultra-durable, in that it’s made out of PVC of military grade, and is 6 inches thick. You no longer need to worry about getting your board dented, cracked, or damaged.
The all-around design of this board ensures that, when you’re paddle boarding in flatwater and when there are small waves, you have stability, strength and control, allowing you to precisely control your board as you desire. It is ideal for people of all skill levels, whether they’re beginners, hardcore advanced, or anything in between. Its stylish design is compatible with riders of all different body types as well. Furthermore, it’s a versatile board that can be used for flat water and small performance, as well as other forms of paddle boarding.
A full package
In addition to the board, you’ll also receive a carry backpack, a high-pressure pump, and a paddle. There is also a warranty of 1 year for the materials, and the board itself comes with a guarantee of 30 days, allowing you to make returns at no cost after the first month of purchase.
3. California Board Company (CBC) Stand up Paddle Board
- Strong and durable
- Core is completely waterproof
- Compatible with most vehicles
- Includes a surf leash and camera mount
Rugged and durable
Several features of this inflatable board ensure that it’s strong and durable. For example, it’s made out of EPS foam, and this material is of high density. The roof rack is padded, which not only ensures that it has an additional layer of protection, but also that this board can easily be strapped to any vehicle. In other words, it has high compatibility with being strapped onto the roof of most vehicles. The set comes with a Tri-Fin system for extra efficiency and maneuverability; these molded-in wooden stringers are coated with a resin that allows them to be waterproof. The core of the paddle is made out of heat-laminated, high-density EPS. The core is made out of waterproof EPS (100%), and the bottom is a high-density polyethylene slick.
Adjustable and flexible
This model of paddle board is adjustable and flexible, and it has a capacity of 300 pounds. You can adjust the paddle as you please, from 63 inches to 83 inches. It also comes with a blade shield.
Includes with surf leash and camera mount
This model of inflatable stand-up paddle board comes with a surf leash, in addition to a camera mount, so that you can take pictures and video of your surfing adventures.
4. California Board Company 10 Foot 6 Inch Paddle Board Package
- Compact and lightweight
- Comes with adjustable 3 piece-paddle
- A full kit
- Warranty lasts 2 years
- Sturdy and durable
A rugged design
Several features of this board ensures that its design is rugged and durable. For example, it’s fully wrapped with a second layer of material, both on the top and on the bottom; as a result, the board is rigid, stiff, and rugged. The board features 14 D-rings, so that you can tie anything down onto the deck. In terms of size, it’s 6 inches thick, 32 inches wide, and 11 feet long. The H3 valve is durable and built to last.
A complete kit
This kit includes more than just the board. For example, it comes with a hand pump, which is high-pressure and can employ up to 15 PSI of pressure, a repair kit, bungee tie-downs (front and back), a travel backpack, and a 3-piece paddle, which itself features a nylon blade. In addition, this piece features a highly durable fin, which can be removed at will. It also comes with a manufacturer’s warranty; this lasts 2 years, for problems with both the craftsmanship and material defects.
Lightweight and compact
In spite of its durability, this model is also lightweight and compact. As a matter of fact, it’s 30% lighter than other, comparable models. It can hold a capacity of 250 pounds.
No matter which inflatable stand-up paddle board you end up choosing (whether it’s one of the ones we’ve recommended or not), we hope that you find the model that works well for you and your lifestyle. Aftral, you already know how difficult it can be to not only find a decent inflatable board, but also one which fits both with your desired characteristics and your desired price. Best of luck in your search; we know that you can do it, and that you will find the right inflatable board before long. We have faith in your searching abilities.