If you want to go fishing, then an inflatable boat—as opposed to a rigid one—might be a good option for you. Inflatable boats can be stored easily, and they also make for lighter packing. And lighter packing is always a definite bonus, no matter how long (or how short) you expect your trips to be. Another advantage of using an inflatable fishing boat is that you can move around more comfortably inside them. While it is more unsteady, you won’t feel as hard-pressed to fit inside one hard shape.
Why Do You Need Inflatable Fishing Boat?
- Allows for greater ease of movement, allowing for more comfort and better catch rates
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Compatible with different fishing styles
- Can be easily packed up and put away
Things To Consider When Buying Inflatable Fishing Boat
So, have we convinced you yet? Well, if we’re getting anywhere down that road, then you might be thinking of purchasing an inflatable fishing boat yourself. If that’s the case, then there are several criteria you’ll have to keep in mind. Doing so is quite important, since you don’t want to mess up, buy a product that looks good for you—but which is actually terrible—and then end up being dissatisfied for months (or even years) to come. If you find that this situation fits what might happen to you (and maybe even has), then you’ll have to think carefully before you make a purchase. In order to do so, here are several criteria you’ll have to take into account.
- How rigid is it? While inflatable structures are generally less rigid than their hard-backed counterparts, there’s nevertheless varying levels of rigidity involved. And the less rigid an inflatable boat is, the more easily you’ll move around—but the less balanced you’ll be as well. Something else to take into account is that a less rigid model might not be as durable, or last as long.
- Where can you bring it? Some models aren’t ideal for rougher or choppier waters—regardless of what their labels might say. If you want to know for sure, then you should look into online reviews, rather than simply taking what it says on the box for granted. Reviewers, such as the ones you’d find on Amazon or on the websites of sporting-goods retailers, can often point you in the right direction of what bodies of water are compatible with any given model.
- How long can you use it for? As we said already, durability is, at least in part, a consequence of how solid the structure is. But durability speaks to other things as well: how effectively it can hold up wear and tear, how it can survive in different weather conditions and environments, and so forth.
- Is it waterproof or water-resistant? These are definitely some of the more important things to consider when you’re purchasing an inflatable fishing boat. Some models only say they’re one and/or the other, but they actually let a lot of water in, despite what they proclaim themselves to be.
- What’s the price like? Getting a less expensive model can be convenient if you’re a little strapped for cash, but you might find that the costs outweigh the benefits—perhaps it’s not sturdy enough, or maybe it won’t work properly after only a year of usage. But if you get a more expensive model, that might not necessarily be ideal either; more expensive models aren’t necessarily of any higher quality, and you might just end up buying into a waste of money. To ward against this problem, don’t buy the cheapest or the most expensive model, and instead look for one whose price fits into the middle of the range, or perhaps the upper-middle end of the range.
- Does it offer convenient angles for fishing? This might sound like a strange question, but the shape/structure of the boat can definitely affect your angles for fishing. You simply won’t catch as many if the boat’s not optimally designed.
Top 4 Best Rated Inflatable Fishing Boat
There are so many inflatable fishing boats available out there in the market, both in-store and online. We have done the legwork of reviewing them to help you select the best inflatable fishing boat that will fulfill your requirements. Here are our top recommendations:
1. Intex Excursion 5, 5-Person Inflatable Boat Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump
- Inflatable I-Beam floor is comfortable and rigid at the same time
- Features welded oar locks for better security
- The Boston valves allows you to fill it and empty it quickly
- 3 air chambers
Safe and secure
The Excursion was designed with several features that make it safer (and easier) to use. For example, each side of the inflatable floor, which is made out of I-Beam, offers two welded oar locks, which means that there are four separate locks to protect your locks and undermine the possibility that your oars will get lost. Furthermore, the Excursion has three air chambers, including an auxiliary air chamber which is located in the hull; together, these guarantee you greater safety and buoyancy.
Easy and efficient to use
As we’ve said, the fact that there are three air chambers makes this model more buoyant, which in turn makes it easier to set out on the water and start fishing (and which will save you time as well). The Boston valves, which are located on the two main chambers of the hull, make it easier for you to both fill up the boat, and then deflate it quickly. You’ll be done getting the air in there in no time.
Portability and strength
This model isn’t very expensive. And better yet, it’s solid enough that it can easily carry two, or even three people, so you can go on trips with your best friends without having any additional stress. You can finally have the buddy-buddy fishing trips of your dreams!
2. Classic Accessories Colorado Boat
- anchor system
- Three separate positions for the rod holder
- Three separate positions for locking oars
- Nine feet long
Adaptable for life in the great outdoors
The Colorado Boat is strong enough to withstand all kinds of environments and weather conditions; it comes complete with a weatherproof motor mount. This versatile model (which has the colors of sage green and black) is also 9 feet long, which ensures that it will hold its ground (or water, rather) even in harsh winds. You can even sit down when you’re in the Colorado Boat, since it contains a plastic seat—which can easily be folded up when it’s not in use. The anchor system allows your boat to stay afloat even when you’re not in it. The system includes a mesh bag that can be filled.
Variability of positions
You can alter the different facets of this model. More specifically, the rod holder can be mounted in three different positions on top of each oar stand, and the motor mount offers two positions for more efficient trolling. There are also three positions for locking your oars, which is both safer and which will give you more control over security on the boat. Finally, not only is it waterproof and water resistant, but it also contains 20 pockets (as well as 2 drink holders), which make it easy for you to store all your valuable equipment.
3. Classic Accessories Colorado XT Inflatable Pontoon Boat With Transport Wheel & Motor Mount
- 6 possible positions with which to mount the rod
- Anchor system
- Steel tube frame is powder-coated
- Comes with two seven-foot oars
- Adjustable seat mount and footrests
Variability of positions and angles
The XT offers a number of angles and different positions, which makes fishing both easier and more efficient—and, not to mention, more fun. For example, you can adjust both the footrests and the seat mount, the latter of which is deluxe and cushioned. You can also mount the rod holder in a total of six different positions. The gear bags are removable, which ensures that you can customize your level of storage. Moreover, the boat has 20 different pockets for storing your stuff (as well as two separate drink holders).
Durable and sturdy
The frame is made from steel tube, and it’s powder-coated for extra strength. Furthermore, the heavy-duty pontoons have abrasion-resistant bottoms that are coated with PVC. Their tops are made out of tough nylon, and there are also vinyl bladders that are resistant to both the cold and the heat. The design features a retention cord for front end of the boat. The rugged aluminum oars it comes with (which are each seven feet long, and which are assembled in two pieces) are durable as well.
In addition to the adjustable features we’ve already mentioned, the XT also distinguishes itself thanks to its anchor system. Featuring a fillable mesh bag, this system can be used for efficiently holding down your boat when you and your party need to stop out of it. The combination valves are designed for quick inflation and deflation, and the footrests have a no-slip feature. There’s even a fish ruler so that you can measure the size of your catches.
4. Intex Mariner 4, 4-Person Inflatable Boat Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump (Latest Model)
- Suitable for four people; can hold 400 kg (880 pounds)
- Pouches for gear and batteries
- Two holders for fishing rods
- Oar holders and rotating oar locks
This Intex model offers several safety features which will ensure that you can fish in greater safety and security. For example, it can carry 880 pounds (400 kg)—or, in other words, four people at a time. (Be careful you don’t overcharge, it however; that would be dangerous). The oar locks rotate for greater efficiency and protection, and the oar holders are designed securely so that your equipment will stay safe. The floor is made of heavy-duty extruded plastic, which ensures comfort as well as rigidity. The whole structure ms made of very tough laminated vainly that fights against impacts, abrasions, and damage from UV rays. The model has also been certified by the U.S. Coast Guard Band and the National Marine Manufacturer’s Association.
Easy to handle and manipulate
As we’ve said, there are two different holders for fishing rods, which means that you can adjust the composition and the weight of the boat, depending on which rods you put in which holders. But more than that, the inflatable keel allows you to improve your control and handle over the boat. The four Boston valves allow you to fill and deflate the boat quickly and efficiently. The seat cushions, of which there are three, are designed for optimal comfort and support.
At the end of the day, getting an inflatable fishing boat is a great investment for those who enjoy both fishing and adventures. They’re easy to store (and to find at the store), highly versatile, and can even be adapted to different uses. If you’re considering getting one, then—whether you’ve been fishing for years or are still a brand-new beginner—you should look into the models we’ve mentioned. They will get you through miles and miles in safety and relative comfort—and will accompany throughout for countless hauls.